SET will take place in bustling city of Nanjing, China.
Over the four-day course you will participate in:
- In-depth lectures and discussions on COE, what is specialty coffee and what makes COE coffee unique.
- Various sensory exercises designed to help you grow in how you perceive and understand aroma and taste. These exercises will be the start of learning to calibrate with the group.
- Tastings designed to demonstrate the importance of correct cupping procedure and the effects of different variables on cup profile.
- Tasting common defects in coffee.
- Learning about the COE method for scoring coffee.
- Calibrating with a diverse group of cuppers over multiple cupping sessions.
- Introduction and discussion around COE’s unique way of evaluating cuppers skill and confidants.
- A test designed after the program COE uses to select National Jury members.
Classes will begin at 9:00 and finish at 4:30 pm with an hour break for lunches, which will be provided. Be prepared to experience Cup of Excellence (COE). You’ll cup many different coffees, processes and cultivars, practice logistics and cupping protocol of a COE cupping and take an exam just like National Jury sensory professionals. This will show you how you are calibrated with the rest of the jury as well as your sensory confidence with samples that are representative score.
The first two days we focus on COE cupping, the protocol of identifying qualities, identifying common flavor attributes, scoring and a common language. We then will advance to expose all participants to technical approach on our quality variables, different varietals and some common defects. Sessions include lab, lecture and active discussions. We will also provide coffees from other countries for you to taste and learn; processed naturals and honeys/pulped naturals & varieties, etc.
We’ll be actively standing during cupping and seated for discussions so please wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Absolutely no use of perfume or cologne allowed. Lunches to be provided.
Please bring with you a notebook and if you like, samples of your roasted beans. We’ll have a session of blind cupping of all coffees brought by participants. You’ll have the opportunity to see other coffees from other attendees. At the beginning of the class you will receive a COE cupping spoon and an apron along with other fun things. Upon completion of the class you will receive a certificate of completion signed by your instructor. Within three weeks’ time you will receive an email containing the results of your testing. The information you receive will be in the same format as those who undergo national jury testing.
This experience is intended to share with you the Cup of Excellence program, improve your cupping and sensory evaluation skills and to share with others in a jury setting. This is the best way to learn and calibrate your sensory skills. Thank you for joining us!